7 Dead, Building Reduced To Rubbles
• SSS Confirms Arrest Of 12 In Connection With The Incident
SEVEN people were feared dead Friday following a fierce gun duel between operatives of the State Security Service (SSS) and persons suspected to be members of the Boko Haram Islamic sect. The incident took place near the Apo Legislators’ Quarters in Abuja.
In a statement released yesterday in the FCT, the Deputy Director of SSS, Marilyn Ogar, said a combined security team was tipped off by two Boko Haram members that some arms were hidden in some uncompleted buildings at the Zone E area, near the Legislators’ quarters.
She said Kamal Abdullahi and Mohammed Adamu who had earlier been arrested for terrorist activities, led the team to an uncompleted building.
“The team commenced digging for the arms but came under heavy gunfire by other Boko Haram elements within the area, which prompted the response from the security team. Some persons where injured and 12 others have been arrested in connection with the incident and are making useful statements,” she said.
At the scene of the incident, that the building, which purportedly housed the victims, had almost been reduced to rubbles. Seven bodies were taken away in an ambulance with the inscription of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC).
Earlier, Mr. Sunday Odukoya, the Assistant Commissioner of Police in Charge of Abuja Metro Area Command, had confirmed the incident to newsmen, pointing out that although he could ascertain that seven people were killed in the shoot out, he could not say what actually led to the shootout.
“I have not heard something like that. But the issue is when a matter happens like this, we do investigation, people will tell us what happened, we will gather more intelligence,” he said.